Africa Reading List
As we have mentioned in previous posts, Graeme has had a lifelong interest in the continent of Africa. Particularly, it’s history, exploration, peoples, culture, and colonization. His passion has only been fueled by our visits to this wonderfully diverse country. I consider him our in-house expert.
Although I have read several of the books below, the bulk of the reading has been done by Graeme. He often gives me a play-by-play of what he’s reading, so I feel as if I experienced many of them. Some of our favorites are books by African voices about topics other than the continent.
If you have a book that we need to add to our list send us a message, we would love to read it. And if you’ve read any of the ones on our list tell us what you thought.
Books We’ve Read
- The Zanzibar Chest by Aidan Hartley
- The Lioness of Morocco by Julia Drosten
- Into Africa: The Epic Adventures of Stanley and Livingstone by Martin Dugard
- The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver
- You Made a Fool of Death with Your Beauty by Akwaeke Emery
- A Hunters Wanderings in Africa by Frederick Selous
- The Sheltering Sky by Paul Bowles
- Whatever You Do, Don’t Run: True Tales of a Botswana Safari Guide by Peter Allison
Up Next on our List
- Dance of the Jakaranda by Peter Kimani
- The Famished Road by Ben Okri to Paradise by Ousman Umar
- Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi
- Gods Children are Little Broken Things by Arinze Ifeakandu
- Africa: A Biography of the Continent by John Reader
- Tea, Scones and Malaria by Katlynn Brooke
- Cries of the Savannah: An Adventure by Sue Tidwell
- Running the Rift by Naomi Benaron
- Africa is Not a Country by Dipo Faloyin
- First Footsteps in East Africa by Sir Richard Francis Burton